Monday, January 7, 2008

Rugs in Fiction


I was visiting my girlfriend's parents in Tehachapi over the holidays and as is my habit stopped at the local used bookstore. Outside in the 50 cent pile I picked up Emma Lathan's By Hook or By Crook, a murder mystery about a family in the rug business which I have just started reading. It got me thinking about rugs and the rug business in fiction. Well-known Oriental rug bibliophile Jerry Silverman penned a couple of entertaining novellas in the 90s: Book-Collecting Ain't for Sissies and G.O.B. of Blood. My personal favorite is The Big Lebowski where what happens to the main character's oriental carpet is the catalyst for his misadventures.

In what other works of fiction are rugs prominently displayed? What are your favorites?

-Wesley

1 comment:

RugBooks said...

One comment I received said "Some would say that most Oriental rug books are fiction". HG Dwight in his PERSIAN MINIATURES said almost the same thing 90 years ago.